Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One Minute Piece 25/8/10

HEART SURGERY


 
The idea to use heart surgery footage came to me immediately when conceptually working on my one minute piece for class. I want to have this image playing through the projector while I simultaneously stand in a hot bucket of water.
Both the bucket of water and the open-heart surgery compliment and contradict each other and this is exactly the disorienting effect I hope to create in the simultaneity of showing these images.


THE BUCKET
 



I went to the Japanese bathhouse in Melbourne and this gave me the inspiration for the text to use in the bucket.
I went to many Japanese bath houses while travelling in Japan with my partner during the mid- semester break and in returning to Melbourne we went into a real rough patch and It was looking like we were going to break up - This highly emotional time was intense and overwhelming and my head was so full of noise – I decided to take myself to the bath house as it reminded me of the  good times we had shared in Japan. I bathed in 45c water as well as using the sauna for over 2 hours. This process allowed me time to sit with the grief in my heart and to find stillness. As I was sitting  there my body temperature had risen to such an extent that all I could hear was the deafening thud of my own heart -beat. 


I experienced this as a welcome relief from all the noise in my head. I was left with the sound of the heart and was amazed at its strength and physical presence. The reality that it is beating at all times and yet we are often so removed from this in the hustle and bustle of daily life. I am going to explore the relationship of the physical organ of the heart (open heart surgery) alongside the emotional attachment we have to this organ ‘love’  - 

'Is there any intrinsic connection between the emotional and the physical? or is it an arbitrary signification that we have laced with cultural and historical meaning? 



No comments:

Post a Comment